Friday, May 27, 2016

Launching Moto Mouth Moshe



It's either in the blood, or it's not. For me, it always has been. No matter what forces the universe cooked up to throw my life for a curve, there was always the glorious, soothing feeling of simply going for a ride. No doctor, no pill, and no money could cure the blues faster than a quick rip-roaring tear through the local serpentine back roads. It's in the blood! It has been since I was two years old, when I kicked my stroller over so I could sit on a random Honda I spotted in a Californian parking lot. It can't be denied, like breathing itself.




Over the past two decades on two wheels, I’ve ridden hundreds of thousands of miles in multiple countries, tested hundreds of products, and published countless reviews in national motorcycle magazines like Motorcycle Consumer News, BMW Owner's News, Thunder Press, Rider, and many others.

A couple of weeks ago, meditating on my well worn riding suit as I commuted to work on the miserable New Jersey Turnpike, it hit me: Reviews generally focus on gear when it's new, or nearly new. This dovetailed with another nagging annoyance, which is that print leaves so much out of the experience. Would a motorcyclist want to read my description of what an aftermarket exhaust sounds like, or would she rather hear it for herself on video? Within the span of that commute, the idea for Moto-Mouth Moshe was born.

So, I started a Youtube channel a few days ago, and I have a few videos which I'm going to upload soon. Two weeks ago, my idea of photography was "point and shoot in auto mode." Now, I'm learning the skills of videography required to make what is hopefully valued content to my fellow riding comrades.

My plan is to examine new products, as well as revisit some previously tested gear to see how it’s held up under abuse. Motorcycle jackets, pants, boots, gloves, glasses, helmets, action cameras, exhaust systems, radar detectors, rain suits, tank bags, aftermarket seats, windshields, aux lights - basically, farkles. I'll also cover other motorcycle topics like technical instructions, modifications, and safety tips.

The ultimate goal is interactivity. A democratic process where my viewers can decide what products they want to see reviewed, and a system in which I can speak to them and vice versa directly, and nearly instantaneously.

It's very different than the print media I'm used to, but I'm excited to start down this path and to see where it leads. If you like motorcycles, please visit my Youtube page at Moto Mouth Moshe's Youtube Channel

My first upload is a simple trailer of what's to come. See you guys out on the road, and don't forget: Keep the shiny side up!


-MKL


No comments:

Post a Comment